The Benefits of Cosmetic Dentistry
If you lack confidence in your smile, cosmetic dentistry in Orlando can help. This type of dentistry focuses on improving the appearance of your teeth, mouth and gums, leading to a brighter, healthier smile. In addition to boosting confidence, cosmetic dentistry can enhance oral health by making it easier to brush and floss. Let’s go over some popular procedures and the unique benefits they offer.
For patients with stained, dull or uneven teeth, porcelain veneers can help. Porcelain veneers are thin, customized shells that are bonded to the front of teeth, resulting in a bright, uniform smile. Top benefits include:
- Natural appearance: When installed properly, you can’t tell the difference between veneers and regular teeth.
- Low maintenance: Regular brushing and flossing is all you need to do to care for veneers.
- Conceals cosmetic issues: Veneers can conceal anything from chips and cracks to gaps and discoloration.
To apply porcelain veneers, Dr. Reshma J. Patel will start by getting a mold of your teeth. This will be used to create personalized veneers, which are then attached to your teeth with dental bonding glue or cement.
The foods and drinks we consume daily (such as tea, coffee and curry) can leave stains on our teeth. Not only does discoloration negatively impact our confidence, but it can also contribute to gum inflammation and bleeding. That’s why many patients turn to teeth whitening. Top benefits include:
- Stain removal: Teeth whitening can get rid of pesky stains that won’t go away with regular brushing or flossing.
- Reduced bacteria: This procedure can eliminate bacteria that plays a role in gum disease and tooth decay.
- Simplicity: The whitening process is relatively simple and usually takes less than 90 minutes.
When performing teeth whitening, Dr. Patel will apply a gel that contains hydrogen peroxide. Then, she’ll direct a heating lamp on your teeth (which activates the gel and encourages whitening).
If you’re looking for a faster alternative to porcelain veneers, cosmetic bonding can help. It involves a customized, composite resin that evens out gaps and irregularities in your teeth. Although it’s not as strong as veneers, cosmetic bonding can greatly improve your smile’s appearance. Top benefits include:
- Speed: Cosmetic bonding typically takes around 30 to 60 minutes per tooth.
- Protection: By creating a seal on your teeth, cosmetic bonding can protect you from bacteria.
- Natural appearance: Since the composite resin is custom-tinted to match the color of your teeth, cosmetic bonding looks natural.
Dr. Patel will start by applying a conditioning fluid, which helps the resin stick to the teeth. Next, she’ll mold the resin into shape before using a bright light to harden it.
Invisalign uses transparent, plastic aligners to carefully reposition the teeth, solving issues like gaps, overbites and crookedness. Typically, Invisalign takes anywhere from six months to two years to work. Top benefits include:
- Subtlety: Invisalign is clear and removable, making it a discrete alternative to braces.
- Comfortable: Because it’s made of smooth plastic, Invisalign tends to be more comfortable than metallic braces.
- Improved dental health: By straightening your teeth, Invisalign makes it easier to brush, floss and care for your dental health.
Using a small brush, Dr. Patel will apply a bonding agent that will help the Invisalign stay attached to the teeth. She’ll then use a template aligner to determine where the clear attachments will go.
Dental implants offer a solution for patients with missing teeth. They consist of small, titanium fixtures that are implanted in the jawbone. Once the fixture fuses to the bone (which can take a few months), the implant is covered with a dental crown.
- Natural appearance: Dental implants are designed to look and feel just like regular teeth.
- Easy maintenance: Brushing and flossing is all that’s required to care for dental implants.
- Long-lasting: These implants are designed to be permanent and can last a lifetime.
Before installing dental implants, Dr. Patel will perform an evaluation to determine whether you’re a viable candidate. Overall, the implant placement, healing period and crown placement will take a few months.
Inflammation can lead to an uneven gumline that intrudes upon the teeth. To restore the appearance of their smile, many patients turn to gum contouring (a procedure that re-sculpts the gums). Top benefits include:
- Quick recovery: Gum contouring can be done in one appointment, and the recovery time is typically a few days.
- Long-lasting: Since gum tissue doesn’t regrow, contouring is a permanent solution.
- Reduced tooth decay: Reducing gum tissue lowers the risk of tooth decay and makes it easier to clean teeth.
Gum contouring is usually done using lasers or scalpels. In some cases, sutures may be needed to hold the gum tissue in place. The procedure should take around one to two hours in total.
Crowns, or tooth-shaped caps, are used to improve the appearance and function of cracked or chipped teeth. If the tooth cannot support the crown, a crown lengthening procedure may be performed. This involves reducing gum tissue to expose more of the tooth underneath. Top benefits include:
- Speedy: A typical crown lengthening takes 30 to 60 minutes.
- Improved oral health: Crown lengthening can remove infected gum tissue, reducing the risk of periodontal disease.
- Easy maintenance: Once the procedure is done, no touch-ups are required.
Similar to gum contouring, crown lengthening involves using tools to alter the appearance of the gums. Depending on the patient, the bone may need to be re-sculpted as well. Once it’s completed, Dr. Patel will share an after-care routine to encourage quick healing.
WHERE CAN I FIND COSMETIC DENTISTRY SERVICES?
Whether you want to boost your self-esteem or improve your oral care habits, cosmetic dentistry can help. Dr. Reshma J. Patel and the Dynamic Smile Design team have years of experience in helping patients improve their smiles. After an initial consultation, Dr. Patel will create a personalized treatment plan designed for your needs. Contact us today to learn more!
Comments are closed.