Orlando Dental Implants
Many Americans suffer tooth loss at any time in their life. This could be due to many reasons, from tooth decay to injury to periodontal disease. While there used to be limited options for people with missing teeth, dental implants are now one of the most widely available and effective options for tooth loss.
- The price of dental implants can vary greatly, just give us a call to learn more
- The dental implant procedure is simple and has a very high success rate
- Dental insurance can make the costs of dental implants much more affordable, especially for full-mouth procedures
- Dr. Patel is a local, top-rated implant dentist, she will explain all of your options in detail during the initial exam
- If you are having problems with your current dental implants, we can help fix or replace them
- We are one of the best dental implant offices in the area based on Google reviews
WHAT ARE DENTAL IMPLANTS?
A dental implant is a replacement tooth root that helps to improve appearance and provides a stable foundation while also matching your natural tooth color. When a tooth is so badly damaged that it isn’t salvageable, Orlando cosmetic dentist Dr. Patel may recommend a dental implant. These advanced restorations can replace a damaged or lost tooth, or act as a support for a bridge or denture to restore multiple missing teeth. Learn more about how dental implants work and what types are available.
BENEFITS OF DENTAL IMPLANTS
Dental implants don’t just replace a missing tooth. They have many other benefits as well, including:
- Replacing a tooth lost days ago or one lost a long time ago, as patients who feel self-conscious about a missing tooth can have their full smile restored.
- Re-establish the support system a full row of teeth provides to each other, resulting in a stronger set of teeth.
- Preserve your remaining jawbone, preventing the risk of additional tooth loss. As dental implants protect against excess degradation of bone, this reduces the potential of facial “weakening,” which preserves your facial stability.
- Restore normal speech, eating, and facial structure, therefore improving many aspects of oral hygiene.
- Provide a foundation for dental bridges and dentures.
- Dental implants last the rest of your lifetime. With a 95% to 98% success rate, and are durable and will last many years, provided the patient looks after them.
- They improve your smile, your self-esteem, and your self-confidence, resulting in a better quality of life.
WHO ARE GOOD CANDIDATES FOR DENTAL IMPLANTS?
The first step to obtaining dental implants is to contact our team at Dynamic Smile Design and determine if you are a good candidate. People who need dental implants usually have:
- Lost a tooth or teeth due to decay or trauma.
- Potential bone loss in their jaw due to the absence of original teeth.
- A desire for a natural-looking restoration to replace the missing tooth/teeth.
- If you have dental anxiety, you can still receive dental implants. Dr. Patel is one of Orlando’s top DOCS-certified dentists (Dental Organization for Conscious Sedation) and can administer oral sedation to take away your fears and leave you relaxed yet awake for the procedures.
WHO ARE NOT GOOD CANDIDATES FOR DENTAL IMPLANTS?
Many patients are good candidates for dental implants, but there are some cases where dental implants are not recommended:
- Children and adolescents, because the jawbones of children and teenagers are still growing.
- Pregnant women, as dental implants are classed as an “elective procedure,” it is recommended to delay the procedure until after pregnancy.
- Smokers, as smoking interferes with the healing process and reduces the chance of a successful implant. Patients are asked to give up smoking until the implant site heals.
- Abusers of alcohol or other substances, as substance abuse can interfere with your ability to look after the site and attend follow-up appointments.
- Individuals with untreated bruxism (teeth grinding), puts stress on the dental implants and surrounding teeth.
- Patients with certain medical conditions, and those who take medications that suppress the immune system, or patients with chronic conditions, such as diabetes.
WHAT IS THE PROCESS OF A DENTAL IMPLANT?
The dental implant process consists of several steps. First, a treatment plan is devised with a clear vision of the restored smile, consisting of an initial consultation, and a comprehensive examination, usually consisting of X-rays and going over the options to develop a plan for the implant surgery.
Before the procedure, your mouth is numbed with a local anesthetic, and an incision is made in your gums to place the tooth root implant into the jawbone in the location of the missing tooth. If the tooth remains, it is removed from the implant site, and a titanium post is placed into the jawbone to act as a “root” for your new tooth. After the procedure, the gums are closed over the implant.
Between the first appointment and the next, you recover at home and come back within a few months, allowing the bone to grow around the implant. After the next appointment, an abutment is attached to the implant, which is a connecting piece that supports the top of the tooth. Finally, the top of the tooth, a natural-looking dental crown, is customized by Dr. Patel to make an impression on your teeth.
Each stage of treatment is either performed in our Orlando dental office or the office of a recommended specialist, typically an oral surgeon or periodontist. Each step is spaced out from the last, first to allow the implant to fuse with the bone in your jaw, and second for your gum to heal around the implant site. Once the implant and post have been placed and are stable, the crown will be attached to create a “tooth” that is strong, durable, and indistinguishable from your other teeth.
The entire process can take just one session or can take several months, depending on the nature of the patient and their individual needs.
WHAT IS THE PROCESS OF A DENTAL IMPLANT?
If you need replacement teeth, we invite you to learn more about dental implants at a consultation. Dr. Patel will be happy to answer your questions and explain your options. She is qualified to offer dental implant restorations to replace single teeth and to secure dentures, partials, and bridges.
Dental implants have been used extensively for many years and are a natural-looking, durable solution for missing teeth. Many traditional denture wearers have switched to implant-supported dentures because it gives them back the control and convenience they had with their natural teeth.
Want a dental implant consultation? Contact our office for an appointment, and Dr. Patel will help you figure out if dental implants are right for you.
“Don’t be afraid to Smile.”
For years I’d felt like a part of my body was missing — because my teeth were. My dentist told me that dental implants would make me feel and look a lot better. OK, I said. Now, I’m thrilled. I can smile, eat anything, and enjoy a good laugh with my friends.